Growth in 2013

1.04.2013

When I look back on my blog posts from last winter, I chuckle because literally every other post is a complaint about how cold it was. Little did I know that the worst, coldest winter was coming. Yet, interestingly enough, I'm finding little to complain about. Maybe it's because I know how to layer up, or how to rest at home, or maybe it's because I have a cute husband to snuggle up to when it gets too cold outside.

But what it really boils down to is this: I'm growing and I've done a lot of growing in 2012. Most notably, I went from a fiancé to a wife. I've learned how to cherish friendships (old and new). I've stepped into new levels of leadership. I've experienced the joy of selflessness, of doing something for someone else, even if everything in my body doesn't want to, for the simple sake of love. I've very publicly made known my beliefs, my faith, despite fearing what people think. I've sought after my passions rather than accepting a mediocre lifestyle. It hasn't been easy. It hasn't been comfortable. But as I look back on the last 12 months, I can say that it's been an amazing adventure.

For 2013, I plan to take what I've learned and run with it. The courage and the faith that I've discovered in 2012, I want to put into practice this year. Uninhibitedly. With zeal. And excitement.

What's funny, though, is that when you ask for more of these things--for courage and faith and confidence--you're given circumstances to put them into practice. In just the four short days of 2013, I've already been put to the test. In moments of heartbreak or doubt, I can feel negativity lurking around the corner, waiting to attack. But it's in those moments, I have a choice to have that more I've been asking for. So rather than panic or sulk or complain, I pick myself up and say, "Ok, this is it. This is where I'm supposed to be strong, so I'm going to do what I think a strong person is supposed to do." And before I even figure it out, the fog has passed and it's a new day.

And that's how I know I'm growing. Because I didn't let another day waste away with negativity. Rather, I did what I could and that happened to be enough.

1 comment :

Mark said...

This has been a truly great year of snuggling... :)