i don't care if you're taking a shower.

2.01.2010

"I'm going to take a shower."

"Zzzzz"

"The birds pooped on my car. lol"



As Facebook evolved into a more twitter-like social networking site with its status updates, the lack of censorship has increased significantly. And to be quite honest with you, I don't care if you're going to take a shower, or catch some Z's, or if the birds decided to use your car as their dumping grounds. I'm sure the most logical response to that is, "Ok then. Don't read it. Simple as that." If only it was as simple as that.

You see, if I want to go on Facebook to write on my best friend's wall or look at pictures from an event, I have to be bombarded by mundane, narcissistic updates like these. (Ok, I may have a streak of narcissism myself to have a blog but that's irrelevant...I really should stop playing the devil's advocate to my own argument). What I really want to tell these people is "No one cares so please save yourself some time and stop" but I can't because then, I will have no friends and I don't want to waste my time trying to revolutionize the Facebook community. And I'm always shocked to see someone respond to those updates with an occasional "lol" or "me too" because that means that they, too, probably do the same thing and bless the world with their every move.

Don't get me wrong, I have no problem with random posts or links to other sites, but I think the general rule of thumb should be this: post something if it will add something to someone's day. Maybe it will be new knowledge or an update that will enlighten someone (such as "Today is my first day at my new job" or something to that extent). Maybe a quote that will make someone smile or think. But please, I beg of you who do this and may be reading my ranting post, don't tell me that you're bored (because it's obvious if you're on Facebook) or that you're driving right now (because #1 that's illegal and #2 I'm pretty sure everyone in California drives). Or, at the very worst, that you're on the toilet (no explanation needed).

I'm going to put part of the blame on Facebook-capable phones, such as PDAs, iPhones, and Blackberries. With liberty to Facebook at any time and place, those little thumbs are tempted to type something...anything. As a result, we get those annoying updates.

This is the very reason why I haven't joined Twitter and this is the very reason I don't use the update feature on Facebook very often. There's certain boundaries that need to be upheld with social-networking sites (blogs included). We have a responsibility to keep private matters...well, private. Yes, I am guilty of using my blog to complain and rant at times (most of my January posts unfortunately) but I try to spare the public of private details that may make readers squirmy, uncomfortable, or just plain bored.

My Facebook status right now is www.sansborders.blogspot.com. It has been the same status update for the last week but I'm hoping now more than ever that people will click on it and read this post.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to bag on people. I'm just begging them to stop. Right now, the ability to look at pictures and keep in touch with friends far away is looking less attractive if I have to be bombarded by these updates every time.

Anyway, have a GREAT day :)

(really, I'm in a happy mood!)

xoxo

No comments :