Back Home and it Feels Soooo Good

9.03.2008

Hello Everyone!

Well, it's been quite a hectic 2 weeks! I apologize for the long hiatus in posting but it was crucial as I devoted my time to last minute packing, big goodbyes, boyfriend time, NYC time, broadway musicals, etc.

I believe the last time I posted a blog was my best friend's visit to DC and our trip to NYC. Well, after she left, time suddenly halted abruptly and the ticker began to crawl. Everyone else was still working and because I did most of my DC exploring already, I found that I had nothing to do. Yes, it was a nice change of pace. However, I was impatiently waiting for August 24th to roll around as my much-anticipated reuniting with Mark was planned for that date. Therefore, the next 4 days went rather slow, forcing me to find new ways to be productive or patient. I did a little bit more exploring and also got some last minute souvenir shopping out of the way.

Finally, on Sunday, August 24th, I boarded my bus to New York City at 8:15 am to arrive at 12:45 pm. The bus ride was rather uncomfortable, as I was unfortunate enough to be seated next to a very large man who had no problem leaning on me and striking conversations at the most inconvenient times (while I was trying to take a nap). However, I endured it with a positive attitude since I was about to see Mark for the first time in 10 weeks! Luckily, there were no delays and our arrival was right on time. Stepping off of the bus was rather surreal. I had been at Penn Station twice before but not nearly with the same anticipation and nervousness. He came up from behind me and gave me a great BIG hug. It felt soooo good :-)

From then on, our trip in New York was a complete whirlwind of activities. We went to 2 Broadway shows, Gypsie and In the Heights (both great, by the way!), one off-broadway show, lots of family meals, shopping, Central Park, Top of the Rockefeller Center, Water Taxi, and the list goes on! And you want to know the worst part? I didn't have my camera? I know, it's really a horrible shame. For some odd reason, I didn't think to bring my dslr and my little digital camera died :-( I apologize for the lack of pictures; the only ones I have are from Mark's dad :-/ but they're still fun!

(A little TOO close!)

(Kaylen, Mark, Me)

(Water Taxi; in front of the Statue of Liberty)

Anyway, on Thursday morning, I headed back to DC to spend the last two days with everyone in the program. Surprisingly, it wasn't that emotional but I think it is partly because we all attend the same school, therefore, it's a lot easier to keep in touch. Plus, my roommates and close friends were living in Newport (just a couple streets down) or somewhere nearby.

Everything was a rush. Our last nights together went by very fast and next thing I knew, we were on our flight back to Long Beach. I was very excited to come home...by Week 8, I really missed home and my family. Even though I loved being surrounded by politically saavy people, there was a major disadvantage too. So many people in DC were type-A personalities, so there was a lack of humor and personality that I missed. People didn't really know how to relax and not everyone was bubbly with fun and friendliness. I got my dose of that in New York but my stay in NYC was temporary and it ended all too soon. And although I was surrounded by family love from the Ratto's, it wasn't my family and I sure missed 'em.

I'm not sure if I'll ever go back to DC...it was a great opportunity and such an unbelievable experience but there are certain places that don't fit with people's personalities and that may be mine. I don't want to ruin what I have there by stretching or overextending my experience. New York is a different story...I'll probably go back. But until then, I'm enjoying my time here at home with my family and friends.


Until next time...ciao ;-)

No comments :